Monday, March 29, 2010

Math Galaxy

As a 2nd year member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I have been given the wonderful opportunity to review many homeschool products over the next several months. The only compensation that I receive for my review is the free product. I feel truly blessed to be participating in this review group and I'm looking forward to trying out more products and giving you my honest opinion.

What can I say? Math and computers just go together, so I'm here to tell you about yet another computer math program.

Math Galaxy is a math tutoring program guiding students through the world of math at their own pace. Choose from several different programs including

Whole Numbers Fun
Fractions Fun
Decimals, Proportions, % Fun
Word Problems Fun
and Pre-Algebra Fun

Each of these are separate downloadable programs with step-by-step problems and games. Each program can be purchased for $29.95. Math Galaxy also offers worksheet generators and ebooks for purchase.

We chose to try Math Galaxy Whole Numbers Fun. From the Math Galaxy website:

Math Galaxy Whole Numbers Fun is a comprehensive math tutorial that covers all of whole number operations plus Time, Money, and the sections of Length, Area, Volume, Pictographs, Bar Graphs and Probability appropriate for grades 1 to 4.
It also includes the whole number sections of the Word Jumbles, Riddles, and Bridge the Swamp games and the Labyrinth mazes.


Above you can see all the different categories to choose from.


This program is not a highly animated one...sort of a throwback to the the late 80's computer games I use to play as a kid. I always like to steer my kids towards computer games that will help them to review subjects that they are already learning so Math Galaxy is a good fit for that...in theory.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get my kids interested in playing these games. It seems that the Math Galaxy Whole Numbers Fun was a little lacking in the "Fun" department. And I didn't feel a need to substitute their regular math curriculum as they are already doing just fine with their math studies.

Nevertheless, I'll be the first to admit that what doesn't work for one family is always going to be the perfect fit for another, so don't just take my word for it. Check out Math Galaxy for yourself and read other reviews of this product at the TOS Crew blog.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails