Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Whale of a Lapbook

Photobucket
G7 is taking a class at co-op using Jeannie Fulbright's Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day. The second chapter of the book discusses whales. We decided to make a lapbook about whales using FREE templates from Homeschool Share. I know...I'm always talking about HSS, but they are an invaluable resource!

Photobucket
This lapbook is pretty small compared to most that we do. I really just wanted him to make a few of the booklets to reinforce what he had learned that week while reading the chapters.

Photobucket
In this petal book, G7 listed how the whales are classified.

Photobucket
When opened, this mini-book tells the different "antics" of whales.

Photobucket
We made these whale cards, with a picture on one side and information about the whale on the back. Then G7 sorted them into "toothed whales" and "baleen" whales.

Photobucket
G7 made a chart to show how long different types of whales were.

Photobucket
Along the same line, we also measured the length of different whales using yarn. We cut the length and labeled each string. The Belunga whale is 15 feet. But the rest of the whales were so large we had to go to the backyard. The longest is the Blue Whale at 80-90 feet. It covered almost the entire width of our backyard...very cool to have this visual.

Photobucket
This is the back of the lapbook. I hole-punched a page protector and the file folder on both sides and attached them using yarn. This way I had a large pouch to keep all of our "whale measurements" in. Pin It Now!

7 comments:

  1. I love this idea of measuring out how long the whales are! I will definitely be trying this when we do whales and sharks! Did you have to tie or tape the ends of the yarn together? I'm not sure how long yarn a skein of yarn normally is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was concerned about this as well, but I don't even think we used a half of a skein of yarn to measure out all of the whales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep sharing about HSS - I always forget this awesome resource. I LOVE seeing what your kids do in school. It's very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did this same lapbook, but you did more than we did. Great ideas!

    We're also doing Swimming Creatures this year. We're using the mega-lapbook by live and learn and I think it's going to turn out great. (we just started it on Thursday) For just the 1st chapter, there are over 20 minibooks! (But, I love HSS, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! I love how you used string to measure the size of the whales. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of using the skein to measure out whales! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog searching for whale lapbooks...I'm so happy to run across your blog. I am now a follower:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails