Friday, February 27, 2009

Heads Up!

As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I have been given the wonderful opportunity to review many homeschool products over the next several months. I feel truly blessed to be participating in this review group and I'm looking forward to trying out the products and giving you my honest opinion.

The first time I was introduced to Heads Up! was at the Midwest Homeschool Convention last year. (Heads Up! will be back in Cincinnati this year as well.) From their website:

"Heads Up! is a company designed to provide expert information and products for special needs children. Our items have been selected to accommodate various learning styles and strengths, regardless of curriculum used. These special needs products have been found to be especially helpful for children who are distractible or hyperactive. "

They specialize in products designed to help students with ADD/ADHD, Aspergers, and Autism. While I don't have any children who have been diagnosed with any special needs, I do have one particularly "distractible" and "hyperactive" five year old who just started Kindergarten this year. I poured over the catalog I got from last year's Heads Up! booth at the convention, ooohing and awwwing over the ingenious products they offer.

Just check out Heads Up! and I'm certain that you'll find as I did that any child would benefit from the products they offer. Seriously, which one of your students wouldn't jump at the chance to do homeschool on an inflatable ball?! And what kid wouldn't love a bag of fidget toys?!


Heads Up! has also created a line of products to help with with staying focused visually while reading or working in a workbook.

Heads Up! Top of the Lines have a see-through colored strip at the top to help keep your place while reading. The blue or yellow color helps to focus your attention on the sentences being read. I actually enjoy using these myself! I have also found the Heads Up! Double Time (same product except the colored strip is double the width) quite helpful for my little ones' beginning readers which tend to have bigger type.



The Heads Up! Frames come in two sizes and several different colors. I have used these especially with my distractible five year old to keep him on task. Because I have several colors, he can choose which color he wants to use (this is all my kids favorite part), and the colored block helps him to stay focused on the workbook he is suppose to be looking at. When he does look away, he can easily find his place again without any effort.


Heads Up! Readers have a thin see-through strip in the middle to block a single line of text while reading. Interestingly enough, this can be helpful for anyone with reading disorders, as all of the surrounding text can be distracting. I've noticed that my oldest son particularly likes these. Like all of the above products, the Heads Up! Readers also make great bookmarks. I have a soft spot in my heart for bookmarks, so I think that's my favorite part.

I would totally recommend stocking up on these as they are only $1 each. All of my children have loved having their own and having plenty of colors to choose from depending on their mood that day. You can purchase them as well as many other cool products from the Heads Up! website.

Read more reviews at the TOS Crew Blog.


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails