Monday, January 12, 2009

Creative Nature Study

I love the idea of nature study. I can imagine bundling my six little ones up to explore the wild wooded area behind our house. I can picture us bent over an ant hill, watching them scurrying to their work. I can feel the water as we splash in the creek or the spring breeze as we relax under a tree sketching. Yes, I love the idea of nature study.

It’s the application that I have trouble with.

I mean, really, there is so much book work to be done…not to mention cleaning, cooking, and surviving the life of a home school mom. Even when I get the kids ready to go outside, what should we do when we get there? Should we really just blow off all other lessons to go frolic in the outdoors?

The TOS Schoolhouse Store will soon be releasing a brand new eBook titled, Creative Nature Study: Ideas to Jump-Start or Invigorate Nature Study in Your Homeschool. I had an opportunity to get a sneak preview at this eBook and was quite excited about it. I’ve researched nature study ideas before, but needed more practical suggestions and frankly…more motivation and inspiration. Creative Nature Study offers all of that.

I was happy to see that they start with the basics in Chapter 1: “What is Nature Study and Why Do It?” True to its title, this chapter will help you to overcome the “guilt” to carving out that home school time to enjoy nature study as you discover its many benefits. This book is a collaborative effort and throughout the book you’ll find ideas from several home school moms. In Chapter 2 there are articles on how to get started, even including what to pack in a nature bag. You’ll find ideas for several different fun nature walks in the next chapter and creative projects in the one after. I was personally inspired by an article about creating your own bird watching center right in your own home. There’s so much in the huge eBook including Creative Writing in nature, Nature Journal Ideas, tons of scavenger hunts, and even a helpful chapter about Nature Study with allergies or asthma. You may be surprised at how nature study easily fits in to all areas of study. I also found the extensive list of additional resources (I’m talking several pages!) at the end of the book quite helpful as well.

If you have always wanted to incorporate nature study into your home school, but just didn’t know how or if you are in need of some fresh nature study ideas, check out the Schoolhouse Store for Creative Nature Study. You’ll find all the inspiration you need to get your children outside. And once they’re there, who knows what God will reveal to them through his Creation.
Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. I had no idea the book was being reviewed already! How exciting. :o) Thank you for such a nice review. I think it came out exactly as intended - practical and inspiring. I can't wait until it's finally released!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great review! Thank you for all of your positive comments. It is so fun for me to be able to read the reaction people are having to reading this book. I can't wait to read it myself in full. :-)

    Regenia -- author of chapter 8 and TOS Review Crew member

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I agree with you!! I really want my kids to be out in nature because they're so content being inside. They're missing so much outside! :) I am anxiously awaiting this e-book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your wonderful and very positive review! It's so exciting to see if finally coming to fruition.

    Blessings,
    Melissa
    In the Sparrow's Nest
    www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the exact same way about nature study. I kick it into gear and go all Charlotte Mason about twice a year. It lasts all of one week, maybe two. I haven't figured out how to balance all of it.

    So.....drinking plenty of water? I've been trying. I'm up to 5 cups today! We'll not talk about the cups of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I know this comment is really long, but I thought you would be interested to know about this. It was on my homeschool's yahoo group. I don't know the source of the information, but it is reassuring regarding the lead testing. I was going to just e-mail it to you, but you don't have that option.
    Here's what was posted:


    --- In christianpreschoolp rintables@ yahoogroups. com, "Helen"
    wrote:

    Resale, thrift and consignment shop owners who until Thursday feared
    new federal regulations would force them to close are relieved to
    learn their businesses are safe.
    New rules in the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, set to take
    effect next month, require children's products, including clothing,
    to be tested for lead and phthalates, chemicals that make plastics
    more flexible.

    The Consumer Product Safety Commission, responsible for enforcing the
    law, issued a statement Thursday, clarifying that the law does not
    require resellers to test children's products for compliance with new
    lead limits before they are sold.

    While people who sell products in violation of the new limits will
    still face civil and/or criminal penalties, resellers are only
    required to use their best judgment and avoid products likely to
    contain lead, said Patty Davis, commission spokeswoman.

    Products might include jewelry and painted wooden or metal toys,
    according to the statement. The commission will focus on areas of
    greatest concern, such as imports, large retailers and manufacturers.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails