Thursday, January 1, 2009

Peterson Directed Handwritng


As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I have been given the wonderful opportunity to review many homeschool products over the next several months. I feel truly blessed to be participating in this review group and I'm looking forward to trying out the products and giving you my honest opinion.

Peterson Directed Handwriting has been teaching handwriting since 1908...now that in itself is quite impressive! Using this program you can teach your child fluent print and cursive handwriting.


The complete packages include Teacher's Manual, Student workbook, Peterson's triangular pencils, Audio CD and CD-ROM and cost around $38-45. If you are ordering for multiple children, you can order additional basic packages that are only $15.05 that don't include duplicate Audio CDs and the CD-ROM.

If you are looking for a very thorough program to teach your children handwriting then Peterson Directed Handwriting is the perfect option. Each of the lessons took us about 20-25 minutes to complete. You can even teach your child handwriting using your computer with Peterson's animated letter cards. (Click the link to see the animation samples.) Teaching letters is broken down into four steps:

1. Illustrate and Describe
2. Airwriting
3. Finger tracing
4. Write and Say

Peterson's site is plum full of research articles to help you with all of your handwriting needs from choosing the right program to helping your left-handed child. You can even meet live online with Mr. Pencil himself (Randy Nelson) for one-on-one help.

I won't go as far as to say that my children enjoy our Peterson Handwriting lessons, but it has not been a struggle to get them to complete it. However, I will say that this program is not one that I just love to teach. Broken down, each lesson is pretty easy to follow, but as a whole this method is a little overwhelming. Plus, we really haven't encountered any major struggle with pretty handwriting yet, so it hasn't been a priority for me. While I am confident that this program would really help the child who is in need of more structured handwriting instruction, I'm just not sure we are quite there yet.

Don't just take my word for it though...check out the TOS Crew blog and I encourage you to read Jenn's review as well. She seemed to feel the same way as I did, but toughed it out a little longer and saw some pretty amazing improvements with her boys!


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails