Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I heart books, too.

It all started a long time ago...

I can remember filling the small, two-shelved bookcase with books two deep in my childhood bedroom... Pouring over the Scholastic Book catalog, trying to narrow down all of my circled choices to the budget my mom had given me... Dad insisting once more that,"We have to leave this library!" because the meter outside had already run out of time...

And to this day I am an avid book lover, book reader, and...well, book collector. The fact is...books are everywhere in my house. On shelves, in cabinets, in stacks on the floor, laying open on my desk, in a basket in the (clearing throat) bathroom, in boxes in my basement. Books are in the playroom, the schoolroom, the living room, bedrooms, on a bench in my foyer, and occupying two entire shelves of my kitchen pantry... after all, who needs food when you have books?



I clearly have a problem.



It has been a life-long dream of mine to have a room designated as a library in my home. But since I apparently collect children as well as books, (see my bio if this confuses you), then I have to use all available living space as bedrooms. There is no library in my future. What to do...



Clearly, stopping all the madness and actually limiting my book purchases is not an option.



But purchasing ebooks from Guardian Angel Publishing might help.


While I realize that it's next to impossible to curl up with a good book when it's located on your computer, ebooks certainly have their advantages. For starters, they give you instant gratification as you can usually download them immediately after purchase from the comfort of your own home. Plus, they are generally cheaper than their print counterparts. And most importantly, they eliminate all storage issues as they are tucked away neatly in the vast storage compartment of your computer memory.


Guardian Angel publishes books for children up to age 12 in both ebook and print format. I received 5 ebooks from them to review.


The Sum of our Parts: No Bones About It is a rather silly, yet informative book that teaches kids the names of the bones in our bodies. Each page features helpful illustrations that show both a close-up of the bone and where it is located on a skeleton. The text is set to rhyme which aids in the memorization of naming the bones. There is also fun factoids throughout the book and a page at the end featuring a skeleton with blank labels for your child to fill in all the bones that they can name.


My kids said they thought this book was "funny" and I agree. The rhyming rhythm and cute pictures kept my little ones interested, but there was still enough information to make this a serious, helpful text during anatomy study.


Stubby's Destiny is a short picture book about a sweet donkey who dreams of a having a divine destiny...to carry a king. Little does he know that his dreams are smaller than his reality...to carry the King of kings.

Though I felt like the story was a little too familiar, my kids thoroughly enjoyed this one(especially my horse-loving 7 year old). The big ones liked "figuring out" who the donkey was and I loved the pretty full-page illustrations.


Rainbow Sheep is an imaginative story about a little shepherdess who tickles away the clouds and cheers up a sad rainbow. Unfortunately, the story was a little hard for our kids to follow as it seemed that the ideas in the story didn't transition very well. Nevertheless, the colorful illustrations make the book truly unique. Instead of typical graphics, there are 17 photos of real felted fiber art. And a huge bonus are the four pages of felting instructions and projects in the back of the book.


Our kids had fun learning about nouns and adjectives with our new hamster friends: Jenni, Carlos, Billy, Babe, Grandpa, and our favorite - Spotty Lotty in Hamster Holidays. A short lesson precedes the rhyming story where all adjectives are typed in red and nouns in blue. This visual was really helping for my early readers to familiarize themselves with nouns and adjectives. An eight page Noun and Adjective Study Guide followed the story and included several fun games and puzzles.


Earthquake! is a very informative, slightly humorous book geared more toward your 6 to 9 year old. Topics include:

What Causes an Earthquake
What Does an Earthquake feel like?
What happens after an Earthquake?
Can we Predict Earthquakes?
and How do we Prepare for an Earthquake?

We don't live in an area that is usually effected by earthquakes, but we did have a small one about a year ago which made this book especially interesting for G8. Factoids, experiments, and projects are included throughout.

Guardian Angel Publishing carries over 80 titles. Ebooks can be purchased for $5 and print books sell for $9.95 plus shipping. They also have a selection of Free ebooks as well.


As a 2nd year member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I have been given the wonderful opportunity to review many homeschool products over the next several months. The only compensation that I receive for my review is the free product. I feel truly blessed to be participating in this review group and I'm looking forward to trying out more products and giving you my honest opinion.

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails