Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Mother Daughter Bible Study

Meet A10.  A10 is my second-born and eldest daughter.  She is a huge help to me and I'm blessed to be her Mama.

 Meet Amy Puetz.  She is a homeschool graduate, servant of Christ, lover of history, and owner of Golden Prairie Press.  Golden Prairie Press is an online store offering historical books and more.  


Recently, I received Heroines of the Past Bible Study by Amy Puetz. This 263 page book includes short historical biographies of 32 courageous women of faith.  Their stories are meant to be read along with Amy's bible study readings, questions, and activities in this 13 week study.  The age suggestion for this book is age 8 and up.
I decided that this bible study would be perfect as a mother/daughter study with A10.  I could have easily included her other siblings (even the boys would enjoy these not-so-girly tales...I'm telling you, these heroines are brave!), but I thought the one-on-one time would make this bible study even more special. 
 
Now to give you a little more background....A10 has not yet become a "book lover".  I say yet because like their mother, her older brother and two younger siblings (the only ones of a reading age) are avid readers.  We devour books around here like we devour good Southern home-cookin'.  But A10 is not quite as interested.  I'm convinced that with a little more practice and the right book, she'll eventually be hooked.  So instead of expecting her to read Heroines of the Past on her own, we have been reading it out loud to each other.  This has worked out wonderfully, since A10 is such a social butterfly that she loves the interaction.
 
Each week's lessons are spread over five daily readings (chapters).  Once we read the chapter, A10 and I would discuss the follow up questions and read the corresponding bible passage (usually about a chapter long).  Despite her hesitancy with reading, A10 and I both have thoroughly enjoyed Heroines of the Past.  She has also enjoyed the suggestion of making a "Box of Visual Reminders".  My crafty girl jumped right on the idea of decorating her box with pretty pictures... 
Inside we keep 'reminders' of some of the lessons we have learned, such as a glove to remind us that "Christ is our champion", and an American flag as a reminder that like one of the heroines we read about, we should be "prepared and discreet".

A10 and I have not yet finished the bible study, but I have skimmed through most of the chapters myself.  I am excited to continue reading with her and to go through the study again with my younger daughters when they are ready.  I had not heard of many of the heroines that are discussed, but you may recognize Florence Nightingale, Joan of Arc, Pocahontas, and Sacagawea among many others. 

I received Heroines of the Past Bible Study as an ebook.  I had no problems reading this on my Kindle iPad app. 

You may be interested to know that Golden Prairie Press is having a sale this week.
Heroines of the Past (regularly $27) and other books are 20% off.  You can read reviews of this book and others by Amy Puetz including Ten Girls from History, Costumes with Character, and Uncover Exciting History at the Schoolhouse Review Crew blog.
Photobucket
Disclaimer: I have been given the wonderful opportunity to review many homeschool products over the last few years. The only compensation that I receive for my review is the free product. I feel truly blessed to have had the opportunity to participate in review groups and I have enjoyed trying out these products and giving you my honest opinion.
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. This is truly inspiring. I have a daughter and she is now 6 years old... this gives me an idea that it is also important to have a mother daughter quality Bible devotion.

    Bible Teaching Church in Oakville

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails