Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mathscore




As a 2nd year member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I have been given the wonderful opportunity to review many homeschool products over the next several months. The only compensation that I receive for my review is the free product. I feel truly blessed to be participating in this review group and I'm looking forward to trying out more products and giving you my honest opinion.

We were recently given a free two week trial of Mathscore.com. We've actually been given quite a few online math programs to try recently and its always interesting to see the differences in each program we try.

From the Mathscore website:

"MathScore is a no-nonsense, non-fluffy system that enables students to learn and practice traditional math concepts efficiently and easily. Developed by MIT graduates, MathScore is proven to increase test scores, and is used by a wide variety of homeschoolers and K-12 public and private schools. MathScore fully supports 2nd grade through Algebra I, and is often used by 1st graders. "

I think the first sentence in the above statement describes exactly how I feel about this program: no-nonsense and non-fluffy. I also think that this it what makes it stand out among other online math programs. There are no creating avatars or watching animated math lessons and I am sure that is a big benefit to students who are easily distracted.


As stated before, math subjects range from grade 2 to Algebra 1. Your student can choose to move through the program in order or pick and choose subjects that they are already learning in regular math studies for additional practice. Students will work through an "unlimited" supply of math problems to achieve mastery of the subject by getting all the problems correct and beating the clock. Once they have mastered a subject they receive a trophy under the awards tab.

Personally, I didn't find that this program was a great fit for our family right now. Our kids are still pretty young for Mathscore. I could tell that even our oldest (third grade) began to tire about halfway through the drill as there are many problems to complete. Our 2nd grader was very tense about trying to beat the timer and didn't enjoy it at all. Plus, I guess we've been a little influenced by our "more is better" culture, because....well, we like the fluff.

Nonetheless, Mathscore very generously offers a free trial so even you can "try before you buy"! After that it is $14.95 a month for one student and keeps getting cheaper per student that you add. Check Mathscore out and more reviews by homeschool moms at the TOS Crew blog! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails