Monday, November 24, 2008

Meet Splish!



As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I have been given the wonderful opportunity to review many homeschool products over the next several months. I feel truly blessed to be participating in this review group and I'm looking forward to trying out the products and giving you my honest opinion.

There is something so precious about reading with little ones. I just love gathering my six as close to me as possible to enjoy reading a good book. And you know they have to be extra close when the pictures are colorful and engaging. This is exactly what took place in my living room yesterday as we read And Then Mama Said...It takes Time to Learn to Read written by Gena Suarez and illustrated by Keven Scott Collier.

This sweet story is all about Splish, an adorable little frog who is struggling to learn to read. His siblings and friends who live in Bliss Hollow have all learned to read, but his time hasn't yet come. Splish is homeschooled by his mother and she is patiently teaching him, but he is not quite so patient.

Our children are the perfect age for this story. My oldest is now reading fluently. My six year old is struggling, but trudging along. My five year old is just starting to sound out words. And my preschooler is learning her letters. Each one of my children sympathized with this little frog's plight and it was a good reminder to all of us that sometimes these things just take time.

It has been my goal for this school year that my children would learn to love the written word. And Then Mama Said...It takes Time to Learn to Read is a story that teaches children that reading is fun, rewarding, and worth all the hard work it takes to learn how to do it. Splish is aching to read... and I know it sounds silly, but I actually found myself tearing up when he finally learns at the end. I, too, am passionate about reading and this book is a tool to help me pass that passion on to my children.

You can order your softbound copy of this book for only $9.95 at The Old Schoolhouse Store. What a great Christmas gift this will make for your children and any homeschooling families you know. You'll also receive a free "Splish Activity E-book" with your purchase. This E-book is 36 pages of fun including science and copywork activities. My kids especially liked the alphabet maze and coloring pages.

To learn more about Splish you can visit his blog, or watch this video about his new book. I'm certain you and your children will become fast friends with him!



Don't forget you can read more reviews of this product at the TOS Homeschool Crew blog.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails