Monday, December 15, 2008

Let's Make a Web Page



As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I have been given the wonderful opportunity to review many homeschool products over the next several months. I feel truly blessed to be participating in this review group and I'm looking forward to trying out the products and giving you my honest opinion.

So, I just spent the morning teaching my 8 and 6 year old how to make a web page. No kidding. Pretty cool, huh?

Let's Make A Web Page by Motherboard Books is an e-book that gives your student step by step directions on how to make a web page. This is a great introduction to html code for your student (or self) and this e-book teaches several things. During the course of the nine lessons (we did them all in one day), your student will:

Download a trial software that converts images into html(It's completely free, you don't have to give any information, but its only usable for 30 days.)
Add text and photos to the web page.
Choose a background and apply it.
Add sounds and links.
Post their work.

Once the web page is complete, the student learns how to set it up as their homepage. They can also post it on the internet, but this would require the purchase of a domain, so we didn't do that.
The recommended age is from 8 to 12, but I would say 10 and up is probably more appropriate. If your child is under 10, it is very likely that you will be doing most of the work (as I did). While there are wonderful visuals and the directions are easy to understand, there aren't any cutesy illustrations or characters that would be distracting to a teen or adult so I don't necessarily think that an age max should really be put on it. Most of the adults I know would definitely need instruction if they wanted to make a web page!


Actually, working on making this web page inspired the kids to want to start their own blog! So I helped them get Crew 6 up and running. They've already picked out a background and created their first post. I don't let the kids have much computer time, so they won't be posting often. But I plan to let them post pictures of their projects and post about what they are learning.


The price for Let's Make a Web Page is $29.99 but is currently discounted to $19.99. If you've been wanting to teach your child about computers, but don't know where to start, check out Motherboard Books for this e-book and others including a FREE internet scavenger hunt.

**Please Note: This post is not a part of 7 Reviews/7 Giveaways.**
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails