Sunday, February 21, 2010

Math Mammoth does it again.

As a 2nd year member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I have been given the wonderful opportunity to review many homeschool products over the next several months. The only compensation that I receive for my review is the free product. I feel truly blessed to be participating in this review group and I'm looking forward to trying out more products and giving you my honest opinion.



This is my second opportunity to review Math Mammoth's products and the second time for me to sing their praises here on my blog. Last year I reviewed their full-year curriculum for both my 2nd grader and 1st grader. You can see that review here. I liked it so much that I purchased their 3rd grade curriculum for this year and we have really enjoyed it.


There are so many things that make Math Mammoth a good fit for us:


-Easy to use. There are not lengthy dialogues involved to explain a concept. My children only need my involvement for a short time at the beginning of the lesson and then only if they are struggling. I am currently teaching 5 students on 5 different math levels, so it is important to me that teaching time and prep time is not long and drawn out.


-Non-consumable. I can order each Math Mammoth book or curriculum as a PDF download and print off exactly what I need for each child. I can then use it again and again as many years as I need it.


-Price. I can order an entire year of math curriculum for less than $35. Plus, Math Mammoth offers downloadable workbooks by subject as well all for around $5 each.


This year, I reviewed a workbook from Math Mammoth's Blue Series - Multiplication 1. It was the perfect time to review this workbook as G9 has been ready to tackle multiplication for some time now, but just hadn't gotten to it yet in his math curriculum. Plus, math was getting a little blah...as all of our subjects do from time to time and it was time to just take a break from routine and mix it up a bit. A workbook devoted to learning times tables was just the trick!


Multiplication 1 covers the following:
-Multiplication Concept
-Multiplication on a number line
-Order of Operations
-Word Problems
-Guide for effective oral drilling (and memorization)
-Structured Study of the Multiplication Tables


G9 has gotten through about half the workbook and is on his way to multiplication mastery! As soon as we finish that one, I think we'll probably order Division 1 from Math Mammoth as well.


You can order all of Math Mammoth's products on their website at http://www.mathmammoth.com/ .
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails